Driving instruction permit
Trafi grants driving instruction permits. You should submit your application to an Ajovarma office.
The instructor will provide both theoretical and practical instruction, after which the learner will take the driving examination.
Instruction may begin once the permit has been issued. The learner can apply for a driving licence permit in advance, in conjunction with the driving instruction permit application, or at a later date. However, the learner must have a valid driving licence permit before booking any driving examination tests.
How to apply for a driving instruction permit
If you wish to apply for a driving instruction permit, you must pass the instructor's theory test at a driving examination office (Ajovarma Oy) or be a qualified driving instructor.
No applicant may be granted more than three instruction permits within a three-year period. An exception to this rule can be made if you are the learner's close relative or guardian. Here, a "close relative" denotes a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild or sibling. Family connections will be checked in the population register.
Driving instruction permit for a Category B licence
A Category B instruction permit is issued for a period of two years. It may not be granted until the learner turns 17.
The criteria for issuing a Category B instruction permit are
- the instructor must be aged 25 or over,
- the instructor must have held a Category B driving licence for at least three years,
- the instructor must have passed the theory test for Category B instructor or is a qualified driving instructor,
- the instructor's personal characteristics make him/her a suitable teacher (for example, driving bans are taken into consideration). Trafi will evaluate your suitability on the basis of information held in official registers.
You must visit an Ajovarma office to apply for a driving instruction permit. The instructor must have their driving licence with them.
Two instructors may be registered as joint holders of a Category B instruction permit for two learners in cases where the instructor(s) are the learner's/learners’ guardians or close relatives. If an instruction permit is granted to two people, one of them must be designated as the instructor responsible for providing the certificate of instruction. This designation must be made when you apply for the permit.
If you are providing instruction for the practice and advanced phases, you must be a qualified driving instructor.
Driving instruction permits for other licence categories
Driving instruction permits for other categories are generally issued for a maximum period of nine months. They may be granted no earlier than six months before the learner reaches the minimum age required for the category in question.
The same criteria apply to other categories as to Category B, with the following exceptions
- AM/120 (moped): The instructor must be aged at least 21. The instructor must have a Category AM/120 driving licence issued after 19 January 2013 or a Category M licence issued between 1 June 2011 and 18 January 2013, or must have held a Category A driving licence for at least three years. Category M driving licences issued on or prior to 1 June 2011 do not permit you to give instruction. Category B driving licence does not permit you to give instruction either.
- AM/121 (light quadricycle): The instructor must have a Category AM/121 driving licence issued after 19 January 2013 or a Category M licence issued between 1 June 2011 and 18 January 2013, or must have held a Category B driving licence for at least three years.
- Category A (motorcycle): The instructor must have a motorcycle licence in the same category in which instruction will take place, and must have held this licence for at least three years. In order to provide instruction for a Category A licence upgrade, Category A instructors must be qualified driving instructors.
- Categories C and D (lorries and buses): Instruction may only be given in conjunction with apprenticeship contracts. In order to provide instruction in Categories C and D, the instructor must be a qualified driving instructor. They must also have a driving licence in the same category in which instruction will take place, and must have held this licence for at least three years.
Driving instruction permit expiration
A driving instruction permit expires when the designated learner has passed the driving examination for the category in question. An AM instruction permit expires when the learner has passed the moped handling test or the light quadricycle driving test. You must surrender the driving instruction permit to the examiner after you pass your driving test. After this, the permit cannot be used.
Instruction permits for the practice and advanced phases (Category B), or for a motorcycle category upgrade, expire when the certificate of instruction has been issued.
Source: Trafi.fi 20.09.16.